Updated: Jan 25, 2021
Let's make the holographic 3D dancer with desktop AR.
VR / AR technologies are becoming increasingly popular and are predicted to grow very fast in many industries. The covid-19 pandemic has hit many industries, but VR / AR can revive and give emerging opportunities in many industries such as music and entertainment. With the potential of VR/AR technology, people can now experience live concerts in 3D at your home. Now with the Desktop AR by Holo-SDK, you can watch 3D animation or even real actors live at home with minimum devices.
This tutorial will walk you through the steps to make a Desktop AR application to see a dancer in 3D. Just prepare your laptop, get a free Holo-SDK, and start to create a 3D holographic dancer.
Here are the 4 steps for making the Holo-DANCER.
Step 1: Create a dance stage
Step 3: Create light and music
Step 4: Let's get dancing!
Step 1: Create a dance stage
1. Create an Empty object under HoloObjects and name it to Stage.
2. Go to 3D Object -> Cylinder to create a Bottom Floor object under the Stage, and adjust the Scale and Position of the Bottom Floor.
3. Create another Cylinder under the Stage as the Top Floor and adjust the Scale and Position to be position above the Bottom Floor.
Step 2: Get dancer avatar and dancing steps
1. Download a dancer model from www.free3d.com. Click Download and select FBX format.
2. Add the downloaded dancer model to the Unity Asset folder.
3. Drag the dancer model and put it under HoloObjects. Adjust the Scale, Rotation, and Position of the model.
4. Create a new Animator Controller and open the Animator tab. Drag the animation clip Take 001 to the Animator tab.
5. In the dancer model Inspector, add the Animator component to the dancer model. Then, add the newly created Animator Controller to the Animator component. Click run to test and the avatar should dance on the floor.
Step 3: Light and music
Make Concert Lighting
1. In the Directional Light inspector, drop the Intensity of Directional Light to 0.3(recommended), and select Soft Shadows in the Shadow type options.
2. Create three Point Light objects under HoloObjects. Increase Light Intensity and Range. Change the Light Color so that it mimics lighting in a concert, here we make three light colors, pink, green, and yellow. Adjust the Position and Rotation angles to the left corner, right corner, and center position. Select Hard Shadows in Shadow Type options to add shadow effects.
3. Create 2 more Sportlight objects under HoloObjects. In the Spotlight inspector, adjust the Light properties (i.e. Range, Color, or Intensity) and adjust the Position and Rotation angle to the left corner and right corner.
1. Download your favorite audio song on the Internet and add it to the Unity Asset folder, any audio files are accepted.
2. Create an Empty Object under HoloObjects. Then, add the Audio Source component inside the newly created empty object. Add the downloaded audio clip to the Audio Source component and enable Play on Awake property.
3. Click run to test and you should hear the song from the added audio file.
Step 4: Let’s get dancing!
Congrats! You have finished the Holo-DANCER app and your avatar is ready to dance now! You can share it to the world!
Get Holo-APP here: https://www.holo-sdk.com/sample-apps
Get Holo-SDK here: https://www.holo-sdk.com
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PerceptionHoloSDK
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PerceptionCodes
Follow us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsiRcn3XRJQsAUoWmQQH9Rg
Dr. Sirisilp Kongsilp is a Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality expert. He has been working in VR/AR technology for many years including his Ph.D. research. He worked in tech companies and now he brings his passion to develop Desktop Augmented Reality technology at Perception as a founder and CEO of the company. He has been invited to give talks and speeches about entrepreneurship with universities and events.